Sunday, August 30, 2015

Boulder Sunset Olympic Tri

So yesterday was my fourth triathlon of the summer ... the Boulder "Sunset" triathlon -which I guess used to end around sunset, but now it just starts late morning so you're racing in the midday August heat ;) Should be renamed Heatstroke Tri but what do I know.  Not gonna lie, it was nice not to get up at 430am to race like usual.  

Physically I felt mostly recovered from last weekend but mentally I wasn't quite ready for race suffering just yet... however that quickly changed once the race was underway.

The extra time in the morning gave me a chance to do a warmup swim in the lake and really wrap my head around the swim, in order to overcome the panic sensation I've had in a few races this summer.  And the approach worked!  This was my BEST swim yet.

The bike was actually where I struggled-  likely in part related to last weekend's SS 150 mile escapade -my back was ANGRY at me on the TT bike.  I pretty much had to sit up and soft pedal the final 4-5 miles, it hurt so bad to pedal in the TT position.  Had to let a gal ride away from me that I'd been dueling during the bike leg.  That was hard.

For once because of the bike discomfort, I was actually LOOKING FORWARD to the run -which never happens.  And was happy to learn it was almost all on gravel - YAY!  And then I began to catch the gal who dropped me on the bike... And then I passed her... and never saw her again on the run.  WOW. That's a first.  Normally the race runs away from me on the run segment!

I finished and was shocked to learn I'd finished 2nd in my AG. In a Boulder County venue/field, that is a solid result for me as those crowds are uber competitive!  The race times were over 20-30min faster than the last true olympic distance event I did back in June.  And my transition times are also coming down.  Making progress and getting better each race feels GOOD.

My friend Jen did the sprint tri and waited for me to finish -seeing her after my race was icing on the cake! 

This is one serious medal - the thing is giant and heavy! ;) 

Women 35-39 AG podium

No comments:

Post a Comment