Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Injured ... and sick...

So there I was, wrapping up the 500ish mile Ride on Chicago ride, followed shortly thereafter by the Ride the Rockies...  almost 1000 miles within 3 weeks and no incidents... just one singular flat tire in the heart of Chicago, otherwise I survived both unscathed....

After lugging my baggage for parts of a REALLY difficult Ride the Rockies, I came home a day early from to rest the legs as I planned to race 2x that weekend... I would have been better off finishing out the ride, as it turned out!

Instead of riding into Golden with RtR on Friday the 13th, I decided to rearrange some office furniture.  In order to slide desks down the hallway I needed to tip them on their side ... As I tipped the 3rd of 3 tables onto its edge, the feet slid out and the edge of the desk came down on my foot.

Or more accurately, on my big toe.


Yumm...delicious looking isn't it?

Long story short, I spent a few hours in the ER culminating in the PA sewing (yes SEWING) my toe nail back on because I'd made such a mess of the toe (which was confirmed broken, BTW) it had to stay on or I'd be in trouble.

Bummer, as I was pumped to race the Hess TT Saturday and Guanella on Sunday.

Alright so I did end up racing the TT -in my TEVA sandal on a platform pedal.


I wouldn't call it racing. Riding is more accurate. However only 3 women showed in my category, so I still got to stand on the podium as 3rd place and take home a few bucks.  That'll help pay off the ER copay ;)


While this was all fun and games and we got a good laugh about it, by midweek the next week, I fully realized this toe issue was not going to be a short-term issue.  I have been able to ride my commuter bike on platform pedals wearing sandals -on short trips... but I have yet to get my foot into a cycling shoe. 

Which means I'm nearing 2 weeks off the bike and it really really stinks.  There's never a GOOD time to be injured or to be off the bike...but let me tell you these warm, perfect June days in CO have been TOUGH to stomach when my bike is collecting dust!

Moral of the story: do NOT underestimate those toes or take them for granted! Without them, cycling shoes don't happen and without shoes, you can't clip in and that means you can't train or really even ride... 

That said -sometimes we get put on the injured list for a reason... and I have to say, while the REASON really stinks, the timing is probably perfect.  Combined with the real need to recover from those 1000 miles and things going haywire with work stuff, the timing of 2 weeks off the bike has been pretty spot-on.  

As soon as I got off the foot-related antibiotics, I discovered my throat was covered in white spots... why hello strep throat... so back on round 2 of antibiotics I went.  I suppose if I'm going to be sick it's best to do while my toe has me off the bike ... 



No comments:

Post a Comment